Current Project Condition

Current Project Condition

Friday, January 16, 2009

Once Again Breaking From Tradition! Work Related Bullshit!

Emilee racks up 35,463 texts in one month

By Etan Horowitz Orlando Sentinel

Brad Cox was surfing the Internet this week when he saw a story (reprinted at right) about a California girl who had sent and re­ceived 14,528 text messages on her cell phone in one month. “I laughed and thought, ‘That’s nothing,’ ’’ said Cox, who lives in the Orlando suburb of Clermont. Cox’s 14-year-old daughter, Emilee, hit 35,000 messages a month twice in the past year. Thank goodness for unlimited plans. Her peak month was June, when she tal­lied 35,463 messages, or about 1,182 a day. Assuming she slept eight hours a day, that’s about 74 messages an hour, or roughly one coming or going each minute. Just before Christmas, Emilee wore out her phone because she was texting so much.
Her father switched her to a different provider and got her a phone without a keyboard. That slowed her texting down a little -- she sent 14,083 in December. As long as his daughter, a ninth-grader, keeps getting good grades at East Ridge High School, he’ ll let her keep on texting. “I think there are much worse habits for her to have,” said Cox, who clocked 656 text messages of his own in June. “It keeps her out of trouble.”
Kristin Wallace, a spokeswoman for Sprint, confirmed Emilee’s text tally and said Sprint customers average 268 messages a month. Cox might think his daughter has the fast­est fingers around, but she’s not even close. A man in India reportedly had 182,689 text messages in a month.
VERBATIM Reporter Etan Horowitz had trouble reaching Emilee Cox for an interview — until he used his iPhone to text message her (with her dad’s permission). These are excerpts from their chat. For the full transcript, go to tinyurl.com/6tsg5k: Hey Emilee, it’s Etan from the Orlando Sentinel. So how did you manage to send and receive 35,463 messages in June? Heyy. Uhm i’m not sure really. In june i had cheer camp so like alot of my friends had texted me. And when i wasn’t at camp i’d text my friends and girls on my team. I don’t like talking on the phone so i’d prefer texting people. What kinds of stuff do you text about? Well it’ different things with different people. Like with my cheer friends we talk about cheerleading. Then with my friends from school and stuff we’d talk about how our summers were and what we expected high school to be like. And my boyfriend and i talk about random things. He’s the main reason my texting is so high becuz we’re constantly texting. Lol So were you surprised by the number of texts? If you do the math for June it’s like 74 texts an hour. Not really. I didn’t think it was that much at the time. Half the times my mom had my phone or it was broken but i still texted a lot. Have you ever gotten in trouble for texting or texting too much? One time my parents got mad becuz of the amount i texted so they took it. But my teachers never catch me. :(

No comments: